The best products for sensitive skin
It’s hard to feel confident in your own skin when even makeup can’t mask the effects of sensitivity, including; rosacea, psoriasis and eczema. Sensitive skin is a condition that’s far more common than people realise and a major concern for many. Wanting to find out more about sensitive skin? We’re here to break it down for you and to give some of our top product picks!
What is sensitive skin?
Those with sensitive skin types generally have thinner skin and often have less pigment which is why they’re more prone to easily irritated, broken skin with visible blood vessels which causes redness.
Unfortunately, sensitive skin is genetic and there is little that can be done to cure it. However, you can manage sensitive skin through the use of the right products.
You’re best to steer clear of any treatments or products that can thin the skin further such as peels and acids, instead really focus on using calming and hydrating products.
What is the difference between sensitive and sensitised skin?
Unlike Sensitive skin, Sensitised skin is caused by lifestyle and environmental factors. Some of the main contributors to this skin condition are; pollution, stress, medication, hormones, diet and even skincare products! Keeping your skincare routine simple and making changes to your lifestyle and environment can really help repair your skin’s natural barrier and manage flare ups.
- Avoid having your skin under hot water (yes, this means avoiding long, hot showers) or using hot water whilst cleansing.
- Try using a gentle, non-fabric cloth to remove products – we love this one from asap skincare and this cleanser and cloth duo from pai skincare.
- Avoid using excessive or abrasive motions, instead use gentle, upward movements.
- Be mindful of exfoliants, not all sensitive/sensitised skins can handle exfoliation
- Speak to a skincare professional or our customer service team about your skin and find out which products will work best for your skin type.
The best ingredients to help manage and repair sensitive/ sensitised skin:
- Vitamin E
- Green Tea
- Oat Kernel Extract
- Shea Butter
- Evening primrose
- Hyaluronic Acid
Which products should I use?
There are so many incredible products out there that are designed to help repair and calm even the most sensitive skin types. Here are a few of our top recommendations, chosen by one of our trained beauty experts.
The best cleansers for sensitive skin
- Provides relief for redness or irritation
- Improves the skins barrier
- Infused with sweet orange to help protect the skin from environmental stress, soreness and surface irritation
- Vitamin K to help strengthen and improve skin health
- Calms and soothes discomfort
- Easily rinses away or tissues off
- Gentle cleansing Gel form
- Cleanses and tones
- Soothes itchy, red skin
- White Tea calms, protects and hydrates
- Aloe Vera to soothe
The best exfoliants for sensitive skin
remember- not everyone can/ should use these
- Balances uneven skin tone
- Colloidal Oatmeal soothes and calms
- Extra fine rice powder exfoliates and is gentle on the skin
- Can be used daily depending on your skins barrier function
- Non abrasive exfoliant
- Licorice and Tea Tree remove dead skin build up
- Calendula Calms and soothes
- Ultra gentle skin exfoliation for a smoother, brighter complexion
- Hydrates, softens, refreshes and revitalizes
- Non abrasive exfoliant
- Gentle enough to be left on overnight
The best serums for sensitive skin
- Improves skins natural barrier function
- Sage infused to combat redness and flare-ups
- Improves skins firmness and hydration
- Powerful antioxidants shield the skin from environmental damage
Dermalogica Barrier Defense Booster – Specific for Sensitive Skin
- Reinforces skin’s natural protective barrier
- Intensely nourishes and soothes
- Prevent skin irritation
- Lightweight oil
- Reduces redness immediately
- Minimizes discomfort, burning and itching
- Calms and soothes skin
- Antioxidant serum hydrates and enhances barrier function
- Boosts skins immunity response
- Improves dry, cracked and flaking skin
- Speeds up the healing process
The best moisturisers for sensitive skin
- Weightless water-gel texture
- Dual Hyaluronic acid targets multiple skin surface layers to lock in moisture
- Cactus pear helps soothe and calm sensitivity
- Infuses skin with oxygen to help support and heal
- Provides instant color correction
- Niacinamide and Aloe Vera calm and soothe
- Caffeine helps reduce the size of blood vessels to diffuse flushing
- Great for rosacea sufferers
- Perfect before applying make-up
- Reduces redness and repairs broken capillaries
- High in essential fatty acids and essential oils to soothe, hydrate and heal
- Promotes collagen production
The best SPF products for sensitive skin
- Chemical free defense
- Natural minerals help shield against UV and photodamage
- Oat and botanical actives minimize discomfort
- Sheer formula with optimal hydration
- Weightless formula
- Blue light protection
- Soothes and hydrates
- Protects against environmental aggressors
- Bio-active Mushroom Complex helps soothe skin, and reduce UV-induced redness and dryness
- Chemical free
- Fast absorbing
- Protects skin from pollution and shields skin from environmental aggressors
Click here to discover more of our top product for sensitive skin!