Hyaluronic acid (HA) might sound intimidating, but don’t be fooled, this hero ingredient is not only a naturally-occurring substance our body produces, it’s the key to smooth, healthy and hydrated skin. Keep reading to discover the benefits of hyaluronic acid and why this ingredient should be a staple in your skincare regime.
What is hyaluronic acid?
Hyaluronic acid or hyaluronan is a large sugar molecule that has the ability to hold a whopping 1000 times it’s weight in liquid. This skin-loving ingredient is also a humectant, meaning it works to draw moisture from it’s surroundings, which is then retained in the skin or more specifcally between the skin’s cells.
What are the benefits of hyaluronic acid?
- It’s the skincare ingredient that just keeps on giving. Through its moisture retaining abilities, hyaluronic acid ensures the skin stays hydrated continuously throughout the day.
- It works well for every skin type. An extra hit of moisture is crucial for every skin type because the more hydrated your skin, the better your overall skin health will be.
- It reduces the look of fine lines. Hyaluronic acid is known for its skin-plumping abilities. Plump skin means that fine lines are smoothed out and less visible and skin that’s hydrated is less likely to suffer from dehydration-induced fine lines.
- It helps curb excess oil production. The cycle of oily skin can be a difficult one to break, hyaluronic acid hydrates oily skin from within, meaning it has less need to produce oil to compensate for a lack of water.
- It helps speed up the wound- healing process. By notifying the body to produce more blood vessels and through regulating inflammation levels, hyaluronic acid can help to repair wounds present on the skin.
- It has bacterial-fighting properties. When applied directly to infections, meaning it works well on acne-prone skin types.