Why dry body brushing?
Have a dry body brush at home but have never really known how or why to use it? This simple ritual is actually super beneficial and worth incorporating into your daily routine if you’re looking to transform the look and feel of skin on the body.
Dry body brushing uses a combination of exfoliation and massage to lift and buff away dead skin cells, while encouraging lymph node drainage and increasing circulation. The result? Brighter, smoother skin with less cellulite!
How does it work?
Body brushes are usually made up with tough, natural bristles which work to deeply massage the skin, softening any hard fat deposits existing beneath the skin’s surface, causing uneven texture. By softening these deposits, body brushing encourages the fat to distribute more evenly, allowing skin to appear softer, smoother and more even.
The benefits of dry body brushing don’t stop there, this ritual has been proven to be equally beneficial for your general health and well-being. Dry brushing helps to stimulate lymph flow in your body, detoxifying it naturally and helping to eliminate bacteria and toxins from the blood.
Stimulating the lymphatic system with body-brushing is also known to strengthen the immune system, promoting an overall heightened state of well-being!
How to dry body brush
- Dry body brushing can evoke a sense of energy, so we would recommend taking some time out at the beginning of your day for this ritual.
- Take a wooden, natural fibre body brush. We love Mio Skincare’s body brush, which is made up of a combination of natural boar bristles and massaging nodules.
- Using long, smooth strokes, move the body brush over your (dry, not wet) skin, starting at your feet and moving upwards towards your heart. Avoid using rapid scrubbing motions as long, even stokes are the most beneficial for your circulation and lymphatic system.
- Continue to use the brush in an upward motion and switch to a circular, clockwise direction on your stomach.
- Follow your body brush routine with a bath or shower to cleanse the skin.
- Post shower, replenish skin with a rich, soothing body moisturiser. We love using Dermalogica’s Body Hydrating Cream after thorough exfoliation to nourish and protect the skin.